1 conforming to dietary laws; "kosher meat"; "a kosher kitchen" [syn: cosher]
2 proper or legitimate n : food that fulfills the requirements of Jewish dietary law
- Rhymes: -əʊʃə(r)
Etymologyכשר (kasher), meaning kosher.
- In the context of "of food": Prepared in accordance with
- Well, if I had known it was a kosher deli, I certainly would not have ordered a ham and cheese on rye.
- In the context of "figurative|by extension": In accordance with
standards or usual practice.
- "Is what I have done kosher with Mr. Smith?"
- to make kosher.
Kosher most commonly refers to Kashrut (Jewish dietary laws). Related articles include:
- Kosher foods
- Kosher wine
- Kosher salt, a form of coarse salt used for kashering
- Kosher locust, an insect considered kosher under Jewish dietary laws
- Kosher restaurant, a restaurant or similar establishment specializing in kosher foods
style, food made with a kosher appearance but without any claim
to be kosher
- Kosher dill, a style of pickled cucumber
- Passover kashrut, the dietary laws of Passover
Kosher may also refer to:
accordant, according to Hoyle, actionable, anal, applicable, appropriate, authorized, bleached, bourgeois, bright, clean, cleanly, comestible, competent, compulsive, concordant, condign, conformist, constitutional, conventional, correct, corresponding, dainty, decent, decorous, delicious, dirt-free, due, eatable, edible, esculent, fair, fastidious, fit, fitting, formalistic, fresh, good, gustable, harmonious, immaculate, in accord, in keeping, in line, in step, judicial, juridical, just, justiciable, lawful, lawmaking, legal, legislative, legit, legitimate, licit, nice, nonpolluted, normal, normative, of cleanly habits, orthodox, palatable, pedantic, plastic, precisianistic, proper, pure, right, right and proper, righteous, rightful, ritually pure, sanctioned, savory, seemly, shiny, smut-free, smutless, spotless, square, stainless, statutory, straight, stuffy, succulent, suitable, sweet, tahar, traditionalist, tubbed, unadulterated, unbesmirched, unblemished, unblotted, undefiled, unmuddied, unpolluted, unsmirched, unsmudged, unsoiled, unspotted, unstained, unsullied, untainted, untarnished, uptight, valid, well-scrubbed, well-washed, white, whitened, within the law